Hadleigh Castle, Essex
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Hadleigh Castle, Essex
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Maldon Barge Race 2008
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
The Tudor Roses at Ingatestone Hall, Essex
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Mersea Harbour (after a storm), Essex
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Hedingham Castle, Essex
© Manfred 960 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Tollesbury Harbour, Essex
© Manfred 960 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Finchingfield, Essex
© Manfred 960 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Finchingfield, Essex
© Manfred 960 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Finchingfield, Essex
© Manfred 960 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Finchingfield, Essex
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Thaxted Guildhall, Essex
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Greensted Church, Essex
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Ingatestone Hall, Essex
© Manfred 960 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Layer Marney Tower, Layer Marney, Essex
© Manfred 960 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Audley End House, Essex
© Manfred 960 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)

Mills of Essex

  • Abbey Mill, Coggeshall

    Abbey Mill, Coggeshall, Essex, East of England

    Watermill

    Abbey Mill is a large, white, weatherboarded watermill, built in the middle of the 18th century as a fulling mill, then used for silk throwing.

    East of England - Essex, Coggeshall

    Abbey Mill is a large, white, weatherboarded watermill, built in the middle of the 18th century as a fulling mill, then used for silk throwing. It was converted into a corn mill in 1840. Four pairs of millstones and other machinery are in working order.

    By appointment only. Please call.

    National Mills Weekend opening times By appointment only. Please call.

    (National Mills Weekend 2019: Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th of May)
    (Please, always check if the mill is open to the public before your visit.)


  • Alderford Watermill, Sible Hedingham

    Alderford Watermill, Essex, East of England

    Watermill

    Alderford Watermill is a typical rural watermill with tiled gambrel roof, undergoing extensive restoration by Essex County Council.

    East of England - Essex, Sible Hedingham

    Alderford Watermill is a typical rural watermill with tiled gambrel roof, undergoing extensive restoration by Essex County Council. It was built in the 18th century, and last worked in the 1950s. The mill contains a breastshot waterwheel and two pairs of millstones.

    In around 1850, the mill was altered to incorporate a steam mill, increasing production and offsetting against times when water levels were too low to drive the waterwheel. The mill then boasted three sets of steam-driven stones and two sets of water-driven stones.

    Later, the steam engine was replaced with an oil engine, and, in the 1940s, the mill was electrified. Belt-driven free-standing crushers replaced the engine-driven millstones. These and the water-driven stones continued grinding corn and pulses for animal feed until the mill stopped producing in 1956.

    Limited parking along the road in Alderford Street.

    (National Mills Weekend 2019: Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th of May)
    (Please, always check if the mill is open to the public before your visit.)


  • Ashdon Windmill (Bragg's Mill)

    Ashdon Windmill, Essex, East of England

    Windmill

    een restored.

    Bragg's Mill was built in 1757 by William Haylock, a carpenter of Ashdon. In 1813, the mill was advertised for sale, then having two pairs of millstones. At this time it was still an open trestle mill. The mill was extended at the tail circa 1815. A roundhouse was added circa 1820. The mill was working until approximately 1912. By 1932, the mill was being propped up from underneath, as the side girt on the left side had failed. The mill was renovated in the late 1950s, but was derelict again by 1974, when further repairs were carried out.

    East of England - Essex, Ashdon

    Bragg's Mill, William Bragg's Mill, Bartlow Hamlet Mill or Stevington End Mill is a Grade-II-listed post mill at Ashdon, Essex, England which has been restored.

    Bragg's Mill was built in 1757 by William Haylock, a carpenter of Ashdon. In 1813, the mill was advertised for sale, then having two pairs of millstones. At this time it was still an open trestle mill. The mill was extended at the tail circa 1815. A roundhouse was added circa 1820. The mill was working until approximately 1912. By 1932, the mill was being propped up from underneath, as the side girt on the left side had failed. The mill was renovated in the late 1950s, but was derelict again by 1974, when further repairs were carried out.

    (National Mills Weekend 2019: Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th of May)
    (Please, always check if the mill is open to the public before your visit.)

     


  • Aythorpe Roding Windmill

    Aythorpe Roding Windmill, Essex, East of England

    Windmill

    Aythorpe Roding Windmill is a Grade-II-listed post mill at Aythorpe Roding in Essex, England, and has been restored to working order.

    East of England - Essex, Aythorpe Roding

    Aythorpe Roding Windmill is a Grade-II-listed post mill at Aythorpe Roding in Essex, England, and has been restored to working order.

    Aythorpe Roding Windmill stands on the site of an earlier mill which was standing in 1615. It was probably built in 1779, as witnessed by the inscription "Built 1779" on a timber in the mill.

    Closed in 2017


     


  • Beeleigh Steam and Watermills

    Beeleigh Steam and Watermills, Essex, East of England

    Steam & Watermill

    Beeleigh Steam Mill is one of the most attractive and fascinating in East Anglia.

    East of England - Essex, Maldon

    Beeleigh Steam Mill is one of the most attractive and fascinating in East Anglia. Once a major mill site, working up until the early 20th century, Beeleigh Steam Mill includes a rare Wentworth beam engine, elephant boiler and circular all-iron steam mill dating from 1845.

    There have been water mills recorded on this site since 1066, including in the Domesday Book. Records dated 1683 refer to two fulling (beating and cleaning of cloth in water) mills and two corn mills. A channel of the River Chelmer once flowed through the site, operating the water wheels and giving access for barges.

    When rebuilt in 1795, the mill was five storeys high, with ten millstones and two water wheels. Contemporary accounts describe many barges anchored around it, connecting with ocean-going ships at the Hythe in Maldon, bound for London and beyond.

    Steam came to the mill in 1845, when the Wentworth beam engine and elephant boiler were installed, which remain in place in excellent condition. These drove a further 5 sets of millstones, making Beeleigh one of the largest milling sites in Essex. .. more