Hampton Court Palace, London
n the postal town East Molesey, Surrey.
It has not been inhabited by the British Royal Family since the 18th century. The palace is 11.7 miles (18.8 kilometres) southwest of Charing Cross and upstream of Central London on the River Thames. It was originally built in 1514 for Cardinal Thomas Wolsey, a favourite of King Henry VIII. In 1529, as Wolsey fell from favour, the King seized the palace for himself and later enlarged it. Along with St James's Palace, it is one of only two surviving palaces out of the many owned by King Henry VIII.
In the following century, King William III's massive rebuilding and expansion project was intended to rival Versailles. Work ceased in 1694, leaving the palace in two distinct contrasting architectural styles, domestic Tudor and Baroque. While the palace's styles are an accident of fate, a unity exists due to the use of pink bricks and a symmetrical, if vague, balancing of successive low wings.
Kempton Park Steam Engines, London
the Kempton Park waterworks, London.
They were manufactured by Worthington-Simpson. Each engine is of a similar size to that used in RMS Titanic and rated at about 1008 hp. They each pumped 19 million gallons (86 million litres) of water a day, to supply north London with drinking water taken from the River Thames. They were the last working survivors when they were finally retired from service in 1980.
The engines are of an inverted vertical triple-expansion type, 62 feet (19 m) tall from basement to the top of the valve casings, and each weighs over 800 tons. The engines are thought to be the biggest ever built in the UK.
One of the engines, called The Sir William Prescott, has been restored to running order and is the largest fully operational triple-expansion steam engine in the world. It may be seen in steam on various weekends during the year. The engine house also houses two steam turbine water pumps.
Kew Palace, London
Kew Palace is a British royal palace in Kew Gardens on the banks of the Thames up river from London.