Pevensey Castle, East Sussex, South-East England
© Manfred 960 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Beachy Head, East Sussex, South-East England
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Beachy Head, East Sussex, South-East England
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Belle Tout Lighthouse, Beachy Head, East Sussex, South-East England
© Manfred 960 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Bodiam Castle, East Sussex, South-East England
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Scotney Castle & Garden, Kent, South-East England
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Scotney Castle & Garden, Kent, South-East England
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Scotney Castle & Garden, Kent, South-East England
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)

Hampshire

(Hamtunscir)
Organisation colours:      NT      EH      HHA      Council, or privately owned     
  • Beaulieu - (HHA) (THoE)

    Beaulieu, Hampshire, South-East England

    Palace

    The Beaulieu Palace House (/ˈbjuːlɪ/) is a 13th-century house located in Beaulieu, Hampshire.

    South-East England - Hampshire, Brockenhurst

    The Beaulieu Palace House (/ˈbjuːlɪ/) is a 13th-century house located in Beaulieu, Hampshire. Originally part of Beaulieu Abbey, the estate was bought by Thomas Wriothesley, 1st Earl of Southampton in 1538, following the Dissolution of the Monasteries. The house passed through marriage into the Montagu family and is still owned by the 1st earl's descendant, Ralph Douglas-Scott-Montagu, 4th Baron Montagu of Beaulieu.

    * This property is part of Treasure Houses of England
    You can pick up a leaflet called "England's Finest" which contains 2-for-price-of-1 vouchers for the other properties of this group.


     


  • Bere Mill, Whitchurch

    Bere Mill, Whitchurch, Hampshire, South-East England

    Watermill

    Bere Mill is a 18th-century watermill on thr River Test, Hampshire, South-East England.

    South-East England - Hampshire, Whitchurch

    Bere Mill is a 18th-century watermill on thr River Test, Hampshire, South-East England.

    The mill has been restored and refitted with a Jenks turbine and a generator in 1905.

    (National Mills Weekend 2019: Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th of May)
    (Please, always check if the mill is open to the public before your visit.)


  • Bishop's Waltham Palace - (EH), (ruins)

    Bishop's Waltham Palace, Hampshire, South-East England

    Palace

    Bishop's Waltham Palace is a moated Bishop's Palace ruin in Bishop's Waltham, Hampshire, England.

    South-East England - Hampshire, Bishop's Waltham

    Bishop's Waltham Palace is a moated Bishop's Palace ruin in Bishop's Waltham, Hampshire, England.

    It is a scheduled ancient monument and a Grade-II-listed building. The bishops of Winchester held lands in Waltham from Saxon times, having acquired it from King Edward the Elder in 904, in exchange for lands at Portchester. The remains of timber buildings have been found at the site which may have formed the early residence. Domesday Book records that the bishop had a park for wild animals here in 1086.



     


  • Breamore House - (HHA)

    Breamore House, Hampshire, South-East England

    Historic House

    rdingbridge, Hampshire, England.

    Breamore House was completed in 1583 by the Dodington family. The building underwent minor changes in the 18th century and underwent considerable restoration after a major fire in 1856.

    Purchased in the 18th century by Sir Edward Hulse, M.D., Baronet, and physician to Queen Anne and Kings George I and George II, the home is still inhabited by the Hulse family (see Hulse baronets). Thanks to an intermarriage with Dame Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Richard Levett, Lord Mayor of London and owner of Kew Palace, the Hulse family acquired many heirlooms of the Sussex Levetts, an ancient Norman family, which are on display in the house. Levett's other daughter, Frances, married Thomas Lewis Esq. of St. Pierre, Monmouthshire, Wales; his daughter Mary married Abraham Blackborne, a London merchant who lived at Clapham, whose son, also named Abraham, vicar of Dagenham, married Frances Fanshawe, daughter of Thomas Fanshawe of Parsloes Manor.

    South-East England - Hampshire, nr. Fordingbridge

    Breamore House is an Elizabethan manor house noted for its fine collection of paintings and furniture; it is situated in Breamore, just north of Fordingbridge, Hampshire, England.

    Breamore House was completed in 1583 by the Dodington family. The building underwent minor changes in the 18th century and underwent considerable restoration after a major fire in 1856.

    Purchased in the 18th century by Sir Edward Hulse, M.D., Baronet, and physician to Queen Anne and Kings George I and George II, the home is still inhabited by the Hulse family (see Hulse baronets). Thanks to an intermarriage with Dame Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Richard Levett, Lord Mayor of London and owner of Kew Palace, the Hulse family acquired many heirlooms of the Sussex Levetts, an ancient Norman family, which are on display in the house. Levett's other daughter, Frances, married Thomas Lewis Esq. of St. Pierre, Monmouthshire, Wales; his daughter Mary married Abraham Blackborne, a London merchant who lived at Clapham, whose son, also named Abraham, vicar of Dagenham, married Frances Fanshawe, daughter of Thomas Fanshawe of Parsloes Manor.


     


  • Bursledon Windmill

    Bursledon Windmill, Hampshire, South-East England

    Windmill

    Bursledon Windmill is a Grade-II-listed windmill in Bursledon, Hampshire, England, which has been restored to working order.

    South-East England - Hampshire, Bursledon

    Bursledon Windmill is a Grade-II-listed windmill in Bursledon, Hampshire, England, which has been restored to working order.

    Bursledon mill is a five-storey tower mill with a stage at first-floor level. The boat-shaped cap is winded by a chain and wheel. The four Common sails are carried on a wooden windshaft, which also carries the wooden brake wheel. This drives the wooden wallower, located at the top of the wooden upright shaft. The wooden great spur wheel at the bottom of the upright shaft drives three pairs of underdrift millstones.

    Bursledon Windmill was built in 1814, replacing an earlier tower mill which was built in 1766. The machinery of the earlier mill was incorporated into the new mill. In 1814, the mill was mortgaged for £800 for six years. The mill was sold by the mortgagees in 1820. The mill was working until the 1880s. John Cove and his family worked this mill between 1847 and 1871. The UK census shows he had worked a mill in Portsmouth and originally came from Wiltshire. He and his wife, Susannah Emmett, both came from Wiltshire and are responsible for nearly all the Cove family in Southampton. His daughter Mary married a Jarvis and ran the Jolly Sailor public house in Hamble; one of his other daughters ran a market garden at the end of Windmill Lane, and his son John Cove became a farm labourer.

    When the mill ceased working, a flat roof was placed on the cap frame, which preserved the machinery in the mill. In 1931, the runner stones were removed. The mill was derelict by 1978, the top two floors being in very poor condition by then. Some essential repairs were carried out in that year by the County Council. .. more

    (National Mills Weekend 2019: Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th of May)
    (Please, always check if the mill is open to the public before your visit.)