Pevensey Castle, East Sussex, South-East England
© Manfred 960 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Beachy Head, East Sussex, South-East England
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Beachy Head, East Sussex, South-East England
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Belle Tout Lighthouse, Beachy Head, East Sussex, South-East England
© Manfred 960 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Bodiam Castle, East Sussex, South-East England
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Scotney Castle & Garden, Kent, South-East England
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Scotney Castle & Garden, Kent, South-East England
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Scotney Castle & Garden, Kent, South-East England
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)

Historic Houses of Hampshire

(Hamtunscir)
Organisation colours:      NT      EH      HHA      Council, or privately owned     
  • Beaulieu - (HHA) (THoE)

    Beaulieu, Hampshire, South-East England

    Palace

    The Beaulieu Palace House (/ˈbjuːlɪ/) is a 13th-century house located in Beaulieu, Hampshire.

    South-East England - Hampshire, Brockenhurst

    The Beaulieu Palace House (/ˈbjuːlɪ/) is a 13th-century house located in Beaulieu, Hampshire. Originally part of Beaulieu Abbey, the estate was bought by Thomas Wriothesley, 1st Earl of Southampton in 1538, following the Dissolution of the Monasteries. The house passed through marriage into the Montagu family and is still owned by the 1st earl's descendant, Ralph Douglas-Scott-Montagu, 4th Baron Montagu of Beaulieu.

    * This property is part of Treasure Houses of England
    You can pick up a leaflet called "England's Finest" which contains 2-for-price-of-1 vouchers for the other properties of this group.


     


  • Bishop's Waltham Palace - (EH), (ruins)

    Bishop's Waltham Palace, Hampshire, South-East England

    Palace

    Bishop's Waltham Palace is a moated Bishop's Palace ruin in Bishop's Waltham, Hampshire, England.

    South-East England - Hampshire, Bishop's Waltham

    Bishop's Waltham Palace is a moated Bishop's Palace ruin in Bishop's Waltham, Hampshire, England.

    It is a scheduled ancient monument and a Grade-II-listed building. The bishops of Winchester held lands in Waltham from Saxon times, having acquired it from King Edward the Elder in 904, in exchange for lands at Portchester. The remains of timber buildings have been found at the site which may have formed the early residence. Domesday Book records that the bishop had a park for wild animals here in 1086.



     


  • Breamore House - (HHA)

    Breamore House, Hampshire, South-East England

    Historic House

    rdingbridge, Hampshire, England.

    Breamore House was completed in 1583 by the Dodington family. The building underwent minor changes in the 18th century and underwent considerable restoration after a major fire in 1856.

    Purchased in the 18th century by Sir Edward Hulse, M.D., Baronet, and physician to Queen Anne and Kings George I and George II, the home is still inhabited by the Hulse family (see Hulse baronets). Thanks to an intermarriage with Dame Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Richard Levett, Lord Mayor of London and owner of Kew Palace, the Hulse family acquired many heirlooms of the Sussex Levetts, an ancient Norman family, which are on display in the house. Levett's other daughter, Frances, married Thomas Lewis Esq. of St. Pierre, Monmouthshire, Wales; his daughter Mary married Abraham Blackborne, a London merchant who lived at Clapham, whose son, also named Abraham, vicar of Dagenham, married Frances Fanshawe, daughter of Thomas Fanshawe of Parsloes Manor.

    South-East England - Hampshire, nr. Fordingbridge

    Breamore House is an Elizabethan manor house noted for its fine collection of paintings and furniture; it is situated in Breamore, just north of Fordingbridge, Hampshire, England.

    Breamore House was completed in 1583 by the Dodington family. The building underwent minor changes in the 18th century and underwent considerable restoration after a major fire in 1856.

    Purchased in the 18th century by Sir Edward Hulse, M.D., Baronet, and physician to Queen Anne and Kings George I and George II, the home is still inhabited by the Hulse family (see Hulse baronets). Thanks to an intermarriage with Dame Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Richard Levett, Lord Mayor of London and owner of Kew Palace, the Hulse family acquired many heirlooms of the Sussex Levetts, an ancient Norman family, which are on display in the house. Levett's other daughter, Frances, married Thomas Lewis Esq. of St. Pierre, Monmouthshire, Wales; his daughter Mary married Abraham Blackborne, a London merchant who lived at Clapham, whose son, also named Abraham, vicar of Dagenham, married Frances Fanshawe, daughter of Thomas Fanshawe of Parsloes Manor.


     


  • Chawton House Library - (HHA)

    Chawton House Library, Hampshire, South-East England

    Historic House

    Chawton House Library is located at Chawton House, Chawton, Hampshire.

    South-East England - Hampshire, Chawton, Alton

    Chawton House Library is located at Chawton House, Chawton, Hampshire. Chawton House itself is over four-hundred years old, and the recorded history of the land on which it stands stretches even further back. From 1996 to 2003, extensive restoration work was carried out on the house and estate, prior to the opening of Chawton House Library as a UK registered charity in 2003. The house is regularly open to visitors, alongside library readers, for tours and during public events.

    The Library is now The Centre for the Study of Early Women's Writing, 1600–1830.

    Opened in 2003, it has a collection of over 9,000 books, together with related original manuscripts. It is set in 275 acres (111 ha) of Hampshire countryside, and is used for conferences, filming and, more recently, as a venue for weddings. The Library works in partnership with the University of Southampton, and provides an important resource for the university's MA in 18th-Century Study.


     


  • Hinton Ampner - (NT)

    Hinton Ampner, Hampshire, South-East England

    Country House

    Hinton Ampner House is a stately home with gardens within the civil parish of Bramdean and Hinton Ampner, near Alresford, Hampshire, England.

    South-East England - Hampshire, Hinton Ampner, near Alresford

    Hinton Ampner House is a stately home with gardens within the civil parish of Bramdean and Hinton Ampner, near Alresford, Hampshire, England.

    The garden was created by Ralph Stawell Dutton (1898–1985), the 8th and last Baron Sherborne, starting in 1930, making this a modern 20th-century garden. The property is now more noted for its garden than the house. Previously, the parkland came directly up to the house, which was designed to be a hunting lodge. An earlier Tudor house stood close to the current site, before the current house was built.

    The current house was built in 1790 but remodelled extensively in 1867. It was remodelled again in the Neo-Georgian style by Trenwith Wills and Lord Gerald Wellesley for Ralph Dutton, between 1936 and 1939, to his vision of what it would have been like had it been built on its current scale in 1790 – a Georgian country house. It was badly damaged by fire in 1960, and restored again much as it had appeared in 1936.

    The house contains a number of fine paintings. There is a set of paintings of the four seasons by Jacob de Wit, depicting cherubs painted in a three-dimensional monochrome style.