Pevensey Castle, East Sussex, South-East England
© Manfred 960 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Beachy Head, East Sussex, South-East England
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Beachy Head, East Sussex, South-East England
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Belle Tout Lighthouse, Beachy Head, East Sussex, South-East England
© Manfred 960 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Bodiam Castle, East Sussex, South-East England
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Scotney Castle & Garden, Kent, South-East England
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Scotney Castle & Garden, Kent, South-East England
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Scotney Castle & Garden, Kent, South-East England
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)

Museums of Oxfordshire

(Oxnafordscir)
Organisation colours:      NT      EH      HHA      Council, or privately owned     
  • Abingdon County Hall Museum - (EH)

    Abingdon County Hall Museum, Oxfordshire, South-East England

    Museum

    Abingdon County Hall Museum is a local museum in Abingdon, Oxfordshire, England.

    South-East England - Oxfordshire, Abingdon

    Abingdon County Hall Museum is a local museum in Abingdon, Oxfordshire, England. The museum is supported by Abingdon Museum Friends, a registered charity.

    The museum is housed in a Grade-I-listed 17th-century County Hall building, located in the market place in the centre of the town. It is in the Baroque style and, originally, housed a courtroom for Assizes. Nikolaus Pevsner said of the building: "Of the free-standing town halls of England with open ground floors this is the grandest". The building was formerly the county hall of Berkshire; Abingdon was the county town until it ceded that title to Reading in 1867. The hall was built 1678–83 and was most likely designed by the Oxfordshire-born stonemason Christopher Kempster, who trained with Sir Christopher Wren on St Paul's Cathedral. It stands on pillars with a sheltered area beneath for use as a market or other municipal functions.

    Public car parks and on-street parking are available in the town centre, approximately 90 metres from the museum.