Pevensey Castle, East Sussex, South-East England
© Manfred 960 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Beachy Head, East Sussex, South-East England
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Beachy Head, East Sussex, South-East England
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Belle Tout Lighthouse, Beachy Head, East Sussex, South-East England
© Manfred 960 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Bodiam Castle, East Sussex, South-East England
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Scotney Castle & Garden, Kent, South-East England
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Scotney Castle & Garden, Kent, South-East England
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)
Scotney Castle & Garden, Kent, South-East England
© Niko S90 on Flickr - (All rights reserved)

Castles, Forts & Towers of Surrey

(Suþrige)
Organisation colours:      NT      EH      HHA      Council, or privately owned     
  • Farnham Castle Keep - (EH), (substantially intact)

    Farnham Castle Keep, Surrey, South-East England

    Castle Keep

    Farnham Castle is a castle in Farnham, Surrey, England.

    South-East England - Surrey, Farnham

    Farnham Castle is a castle in Farnham, Surrey, England.

    Built in 1138 by Henri de Blois, grandson of William the Conqueror, Bishop of Winchester, the castle was to become the home of the Bishops of Winchester for over 800 years. The original building was demolished by Henry II in 1155 after the Anarchy and then rebuilt in the late 12th and early 13th centuries. In the early 15th century, it was the residence of Cardinal Henry Beaufort, who presided at the trial of Joan of Arc in 1414. It is for this reason that St Joan of Arc's Church in Farnham is dedicated to her. The castle was slighted again after the Civil War in 1648. Since then, more buildings have been constructed in the castle's grounds, the most impressive being those built by Bishop George Morley in the 17th century. .. more


     


  • Leith Hill Tower - (NT)

    Leith Hill Tower, Surrey, South-East England

    Tower

    On the summit of Leith Hill is an 18th-century Gothic tower.

    South-East England - Surrey, nr Coldharbour village, Dorking

    On the summit of Leith Hill is an 18th-century Gothic tower. In 1765-6 Richard Hull of nearby Leith Hill Place built "Prospect House", later to become known as Leith Hill Tower, with the intention of raising the hill to above 1,000 ft (305 m) above sea level.

    The tower is 19.5 metres (64 ft) high and consisted of two rooms "neatly furnished", with a Latin inscription above the door, announcing that it had been built not only for his own pleasure, but also for the enjoyment of others. Hull provided visitors with prospect glasses, similar to a small telescope, through which to survey the extensive views towards London and the English Channel, each some 25 miles (40 km) away.

    When he died in 1772, at his request, he was buried under the tower. Following his death, the building was stripped of its contents, doors and windows, and fell into ruin. As a result, the tower was filled with rubble and concrete, and the entrance bricked up.